Another online storage solution from famous brand, this time AVG comes up with Free 5GB space called LiveKive- beta name is AirSpace. It’s still in beta stage which allows to backup, view and synchronize your data including movies, music and personal documents to cloud with multiple devices. The application compatible with Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. This small guide shows how to install AVG LiveKive (AirSpace) in Windows 7 and start the online backup.
World is moving towards cloud computing and storage. Its always better to keep a backup of your data remotely in cloud which helps in accessibility, security and sharing.
To start with AVG LiveKive, go to the AirSpace beta page here and register yourself. Fill the first two forms with valid email address (user name) and password.
Once registration completed, you can download the AVG application for Windows 7 (for XP and Vista too), It’s a 16MB exe file which can be installed very easily.
Configure AVG LiveKive (AirSpace) in Windows 7
1) After the installation, provide the email address and password you used during the user creation with AVG.
2) Give a name for the host. If you will be accessing and taking backup of your data from multiple computers and devices, then name your device accordingly.
3) Once configuration is done, next main screen is very straight forward. Backup can be done in either Basic Mode (Default) or Advanced Mode – which allows to select the different folders and files.
Here is the Advance Mode backup screen, allows to select the files and folders do the backup to AVG LiveKive in Windows 7.
4) Status tab will show the current running (upload or download) process, Queue and logs.
View/Restore tab shows the data stored in Cloud storage account. So, I can access my Home Windows 7 computer data which I backed up, from office PC or any other device connected to AVG LikeKive account. Also I can download them to office computer and access.
In other case, if I accidently deleted or modified a file in local computer, then I can restore the same file from AVG AirSpace backup to Windows 7 computer by View/Restore tab.
5) SYNC is another good feature to automatically synchronize the changes ( new, modify or delete) of files to cloud storage and multiple devices you configured.
6) SHARE tab allows to share your Cloud Data with others by unique password and keys. You can create multi sets of shares and share with your friends online.
I feel still two main features are missing from beta AVG LiveKive/AirSpace,
1) Access cloud data via Internet browser ( like Dropbox) without AVG AirSpace application
2) Windows Explore integration, like drag and drop files, ‘Send to’ options.
Final release may have these and some other extra features.
The good and new feature in application is, it keeps the cache of your backup data in local computer. Therefore next time when you want to retrieve or restore the data, it looks for the cache copy and compare the versions, if its not found or matched, then access from online storage. This helps in reducing the bandwidth and time for restore your data.
Finally, its good product to try. I’m not sure whether final version will be free or paid service, but its still worth to play around with this cool online free storage service.
Have a try and let me know how it performs. It can be better Dropbox alternative which gives less than 5GB space for free.