For example if you need to use host PC’s entire physical disk or a partition from VMware virtual machine, mostly everyone make network between host and guest then share the drive. It will be a good idea for temporary usage, but not secure if you have outside or public network. Under Desktop virtualization with VMware 6.5.1 you can access physical hard disk very easily and permanently as ‘Guest’s Local disk’ by adding the physical disk to VMware machine.
Add Physical Disk in VMware Machine.
It’s very easy to add physical disk from Host pc to guest pc in VMware 6.5.1. Follow the steps,
Hard disk can be added when virtual machine is completely powered off or powered on, NOT in suspend mode.
1) Right click on Virtual machine then go to settings ( or click on ‘ Edit virtual machine settings’ in summery view)
2) Press Add button in Virtual Machine Settings,
3) Select Hard Disk
4) Click Next and select ‘Use a physical disk’ option.
5) In the next screen under Device, you can select the physical hard disk connected to computer. Under usage option select whether you want to use the entire disk or specific partition on selected hard disk in device option.
6) One VMDK configuration file for the above hard disk will be created and saved in Virtual machine’s location, and click Finish.
7) If all settings correct, without any error message you will return to Virtual Machine Settings screen with one more added hard disk. Now your virtual machine is ready to access physical hard disk in VMware under desktop virtualization.
8) If hard disk is added when virtual machine is on, then you may need to Restart the virtual machine or go to disk management in computer management and rescan for new disks. I’m sure you will NOT TRY TO FORMAT the disk which is your physical hard disk.
We can discuss if you face any problem on this.