In this guide we will show you how to enable and disable hibernate on Windows 10, its applicable for Windows 8.1 too. Also, in some cases, you need to delete hiberfil.sys from C drive to gain disk space if you are running out of disk space on Windows 10 PC. Hibernation on a laptop or desktop computer is kind of mechanism to save the working system memory on the hard disk to resume the PC quickly next time. Since fast boot had been introduced from Windows 8 OS, hibernation is disabled by default.
There are always confusion and different opinions about fast boot and hibernation technique, but totally they are different. Follow these steps to enable or disable hibernate on Windows 10. We also show you how to delete Windows 10 hibernation file which is hiberfil.sys.
Enable Hibernate on Windows 10
1) Open the command prompt as administrator. ( Search for cmd in search, right click on it and select ‘Run as administrator’).
2) Type the following command and press enter to enable hibernate mode on Windows 10.
powercfg -h on Now we have successfully enable it, but how to use it?
We can do some more settings to show hibernate option in shutdown button in Windows 10, or decide after how many minutes of idle time it should go to hibernate.
Add to Shutdown Button
3) Go to Power Options by searching it as below.
4) Under power options, select ‘Choose what the power buttons do’.
5) You must click on show currently unavailable options to change the settings since most of the settings would be grayed out.
6) Select the Hibernate check box under Shutdown settings to show hibernate option on Windows 10 shutdown button.
Remember: if hibernation is disabled on your computer, you will not see above option. You must enable it by running ‘powercfg -h on’ command as described in step 2.
Now, you would be seeing Hibernate option in shutdown button of Windows 10 start menu.
Read Also: How to install/uninstall IE 11 on Windows 10
After Certain Time
7) To activate hibernate after certain time (minutes), under same Power Options click on active power plan.
8.) Clicking the advanced settings will give more options to play around with power option settings.
9) You can set the time in minutes that the desktop or laptop computer should go hibernate mode after certain time. You can find the option under sleep.
How to Disable Hibernate on Windows 10, 8.1
It’s an easy step as how we enabled it, in the elevated command prompt (opened as administrator), type and enter powercfg -h off to disable it.
Restart the computer to make effect.
How to Delete hiberfil.sys file on Windows 10/8.1
This is the file get created during hibernation process. The computer will dump the system memory data to hard disk so it can resume quickly with the all opened programs, files and windows. Usually it will take 75% of your physical RAM. So, if you have 8GB RAM, hiberfil.sys can take space upto 6GB. Sometimes, this could create disk space issue when you run out of disk space issue.
This file gets created in C (root) drive. Since this is a hidden and system file, you can’t see it with normal settings. Though there is a way to see the file in Windows explorer, its unnecessarily of changing the settings if you are going to delete it.
10) To delete the hiberfil.sys on Windows 10 or Windows 8.1, simply disable the Hibernate by entering powercfg -h off in elevated command prompt and restart the computer. When it gets disabled and PC gets restarted, the hiberfil.sys will be deleted automatically with the reboot. You can notice that the C drive will gain some free space after this activity.
We hope this guide would be helpful in play around with hibernate option and it’s file on Windows 10 computer.