I just wanted to try the new features in Fedora. Installation is very easy but guest additions installation is little difficult. Anyhow, I figured out and this post shows how to install Fedora 13 on VirtualBox with working Fedora 13 VirtualBox guest additions.
You need working network on guest with downloading access.
I’m using VB 3.2.0 in Windows XP 32 Bit host.
Download the Fedora 13 ISO file here
Installation Steps for Fedora 13 on VirtualBox
1) Create a new virtual machine.
Operating System – Linux, Version Fedora.
2) Allocate memory, create new disk and complete other steps.
3) Go to Display settings and allocate display memory. Enable 3D to get better display performance.
4) You can enable processor cores and PAE features too.
5) Mount Fedora 13 ISO file to CD drive of virtual machine ( add to media manager first)
6) Start machine. Select first option and boot.
7) Select automatic log in and press login. This is the live CD which we can run like this without installing to hard disk. But, our purpose is to install permanently on virtual disk. Click on Install to Hard drive as shown below.
8.) Continue the Fedora installation on VirtualBox. Its easy with instruction. I’m not going to cover each step.
9) Once installation completed successfully, check the network especially Internet access with download. I configured bridged network and it worked out of the box.
10) Now, Lets install VirtualBox Guest additions for fedora 13. Open Terminal and login as root.
Install Fedora 13 VirtualBox Guest Additions
11) First update the kernel by typing following command.
yum -y update kernel
This will download and update the kernel.
12) Type following command after above installation completed.
yum -y install kernel-devel kernel-headers dkms gcc gcc-c++
Once installation completed, restart the fedora 13 VM.
13) Wait a moment, VB guest additions not installed yet. Go to devices in VirtualBox console, select Install Guest additions. It will mount built in ISO file.
14) Open terminal, log in as root and go inside Vboxadditions CD ( /media/VBox Additions CD)which you can see on desktop. Run following command from CD.
Make sure all components installed OK without any failure.
15) That’s it. Installation done. Restart the VM. To confirm the proper installation VirtualBox guest additions, you can check seamless mode and increasing screen size of VM.
Read more about Seamless mode in VB.
Share your issues on installing guest additions.