If you are hackintosh user running the Snow Leopard 10.6.2 Intel AMD by Hazard distribution, then I’m sure you would have faced booting issues after upgraded to 10.6.8. Normally these type of updates from Apple will work only in original (vanilla) kernel OS X. Because of we are using hackintosh version, we will get kernel panic error after the update while rebooting. Here is the way to update Snow leopard hazard 10.6.2 or later version to 10.6.8 in VirtualBox (this is applicable for VMware also) without any booting errors.
You need the latest version of Snow Leopard legacy kernel for this purpose. I have already covered the similar guide on updating hazard 10.6.2 to 10.6.7 earlier.
What you Need?
1) Download the separate or combo update of latest 10.6.8. You can do the automatic update inside guest virtual machine also, but be careful to do a necessary step before rebooting.
2) Download the Snow Leopard legacy kernel 10.6.8 and Sleep enabler kext. (both are in same zipped file package)
Before go to next step, take a snapshot in VirtualBox or VMware workstation.
3) Run the 10.6.8 update.
4) Once update is completed, DO NOT restart now. Leave the opened dialog box behind and run the legacy kernel package.
5) After legacy kernel package installation completed, follow few important additional steps in VirtualBox or VMware. (I suggest not to restart the virtual machine yet)
Few Important Steps to be Done after the update
1) To work with your USB 2.0 devices inside virtual machine, make sure to install the correct version of VirtualBox extension pack which enables the USB 2.0 support. The Mac OS X virtual machine will crash while trying to access USB storage devices if you don’t install extension pack.
2) If you are using in VMware then you may face issues on USB Mouse, USB keyboard and USB storage devices after the 10.6.8 update. Some USB kext files should be replaced before restart the virtual machine after the update.
Now restart the virtual machine.
You should be able to see the updated hazard snow leopard 10.6.8 with some more latest features inside VirtualBox/VMware.
I’m sure things will go smoothly after you have done every steps correctly while updating Hazard 10.6.2 to 10.6.8.