Using pre-installed VMware images of Mac OS X is always convenient, rather than installing, patching and setting up other requirements manually. As this blog covers topic of OS X on normal PCs especially with desktop virtualization software, this guide shows how to install and run OS X 10.9 Mavericks VMware image on Windows 8 ( supports Windows 7 too) Intel processor based computer.
Update – I have published a new guide with latest OS X 10.9 Mavericks retail VMware image here. It’s highly recommended to read the guide to get download links of retail image and installation guide.
Sysprobs had already published a guide about installing OS X 10.9 from original dmg file on VMware.
OS X 10.9 Mavericks VMware Image.
1) Download OS X 10.9 VMware image from torrent or other download sites.
2) As I mentioned earlier, if it contains only virtual machine configuration and virtual hard disk file, then VMware unlocker needs to be downloaded separately.
3) Read our earlier guide about where to download and how to use VMware unlocker.
4) Make sure that after using unlocker patch you are seeing Apple Mac OS X guest as shown below.
5) After extracting the downloaded content, attach it to VMware workstation.
You can go to File –> Open and browse the VMX file which is the configuration file of virtual machine.
6) Before switching on, you could modify the hardware settings of VM. For example, processor numbers (cores) and RAM size if the physical computer hardware resources allow to do .
7) Power on OS X 10.9 VM now.
8.) Remember, if the VMware unlocker patch had not been applied (or failed), then you will be seeing the Apple logo with loading screen for long time.
Most of the people just download the image and execute it without applying unlocker patch (which is not included in most of the torrent downloads).
Therefore, make sure that patch is working fine and you are seeing Mac OS X OS as guest.
Within couple of minutes virtual machine will boot in to Mavericks desktop.
9) VMware tools (Darwin.iso) is already installed, so no need to worry about it.
10) The password for default root user ‘User’ is blank, means no password.
There you go, you have the latest OS X 10.9 DP2 on your Intel based computer with VMware workstation. Always hackintosh versions do not work as running on real Mac physical computer. So, you will have limited usage on virtual machine which is fair enough to test, experiment and play around with OS X.