‘Ubuntu’ is the famous word in recent tech world. It’s a latest light weight OS which works faster than any OS except net book OSs. I wanted to try the latest version on my Windows 7 32 Bit Host, it worked well. This small post shows the steps to install Ubuntu 10.04 on VirtualBox with Windows 7 32 bit host and working Guest Additions.
Guest additions are very important to use any virtual machines easily and use like host physical computer. So, I will cover the steps to install VB additions in Ubuntu 10.04.
Steps to Install Ubuntu 10.04 in VirtualBox
1) Download 32 Bit version here.
2) Don’t you have Oracle VirtualBox? then read here.
3) Press New button and create a new VM.
4) Set memory size and create new disk in next screens.
5) Before start VM, set processor cores if you want. Add downloaded ISO file to VirtualBox media manager and add it to CD Rom Drive of VM. Make sure CD ROM set as first boot device.
6) Now, Start the VM. Easy installation steps available in official site here. (Go to 4th option and Press ‘Show me how’ button).
Select ‘Install Ubuntu’, to install permanently on Virtual Disk. Successful installation will return following screen to restart.
7) Remove ISO file from CD Rom before VM restarts. Here we go, you may land on Ubuntu 10.04 desktop in Oracle VirtualBox. Lets Install VB guest additions which will help to improve mouse integration, screen resolution options and additional features.
Install VirtualBox Guest Additions on Ubuntu 10.04
8.) Go to devices in VM menu then select Install Guest Additions. This step will mount VirtualBox additions ISO in to VM CD drive.
9) To access CD drive, go to Places and Click on VBOXADDITIONS as shown below.
10) Press Open Autorun Prompt button as shown below. Click Run for execute installation.
11) Provide password for administrative tasks, which is your or root password. Installation will start in terminal window. Press Enter key to close window after installation. That’s it. Restart the VM and look for VB additions features.
12) To make sure the installation of VB additions, Click on machine in VB menu and check whether seamless mode, full screen mode are enabled. Normally these features will be enabled only after guest additions installed.
I hope you would love this OS and performance.
Drop a comment or raise an issue in comments area.