Update: This post has been updated recently with support of OS X 10.8.5. Apple released a software update with several fixes for Mountain Lion OS X. This guide describes how to have latest OS X 10.8.5 on VMware in your Windows 7 or 8 host computer. I could not find a working pre installed VMware image of 10.8.5, but you can use below steps to have latest release on your PC.
If you have already followed our earlier guides, then this is not difference than them. AMD processor support and other tools are modified in this guide.
Firstly, you need to download and install 10.8.3 VMware image, then use Apple combo update to get the latest 10.8.5. This particular pre installed VMware image was built and uploaded by Soul Dev team, therefore all credits should go to them. The installation steps are very simple and straight forward, here are the main points,
Update: By Any chance if you are looking for latest OS X 10.9 Mavericks, read our below famous guides,
1) Download pre-installed virtual machine image from here.
2) Make sure that Hardware Virtualization Technology (VT-x) is available and enabled on physical computer BIOS.
3) Always try with latest VMware workstation version.
4) Unlock the VMware Workstation in Windows OS to support ‘Mac OS X Guest’ operating Systems.
5) Open the pre installed VMware virtual machine, modify the settings (if required) and power on it.
6) That’s it, you should be seeing the Apple welcome screen and configuration wizard. You can install VMware tools to get more features and better performance. Mount and use darwin.iso (included in this download) or download the latest version from owner’s site here.
7) Take a snapshot before updating to 10.8.5. Download the combo update of Mountain Lion 10.8.5 update and do a software upgrade on virtual machine.
Important Steps to Run OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3/10.8.5 Pre-Installed VMware Image – Windows 8 & 7
1) Make sure that VT is enabled and host Operating System is detecting it. Check this post for more information.
2) Use VMware Workstation unlocker to enable Mac OS X guest support. ( Note- Sometimes this image works even without using the unlocker). It worked on one of my PC but not in other one.
You can try first without using unlocker. But if the booting process takes longer time with Apple logo, then you may need to use the unlocker for Mac OS X guest.
Read our earlier guide about using VMware unlocker for VMware workstation 10, 9 & 8
3) Intel processor users can skip this step. AMD users must run a patch before using this image. The patch will enable AMD kernel support. I’m not sure whether this will work on all types of AMD processors. You can refer the original post for more comments and updates.
Run the below ‘amd-kernel’ with administrator elevated rights.
4) Other steps are normal and very straight forward. You can refer our earlier guide about Mountain Lion 10.8.2 VMware image
Open the OS X Mountain Lion VMX file, edit the hardware configuration (if required to increase the RAM and processor cores) and power it on.
Once you have finished the initial configuration, you should be seeing the Mountain Lion 10.8.3 desktop without any issues.
You can find more detailed installation steps and other pre/post installation requirements in below video from the owner of this pre-installed VMware image.
Update to OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5 on VMware
As I said earlier, now we need to do a software update. Direct update from 10.8.3 to 10.8.5 is not supported without having 10.8.4 version installed.
Here is the existing virtual machine before update,
Copy the download DMG file to virtual machine. Before run the software update, I suggest to take a snapshot of VM.
Execute the combo update DMG file.
After restarting VM, you can see the OS X 10.8.5 on your Windows 8 or Windows 7 VMware workstation.
Because of this image was built by vanilla kernel of OS X, these updates work straightaway on hackintosh PCs or virtual machines.