To use Remote Desktop connection utility on Mac OS X like 10.10 Yosemite or other versions, you need to have the proper networking and compatible RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) client. Specially when you try to connect other Operating Systems, such as Windows or Linux, then the RDP app should support necessary settings and security features. This guide shows you how to use Microsoft Remote desktop client on Mac OS X to connect Windows 10 or Windows 8.1.
This method will help to control the Windows OS from Apple computer. Also, you can use and control Windows programs from Mac through RDP, just like they are installed on the Mac. Windows to Windows or Mac to Mac remote desktop connections are always easy and not complicated, but when it comes to use RDP on crossed OS platform, always compatibility comes into picture.
First make sure the network connectivity is fine from Mac to Windows OS. You can confirm this by using ‘ping’ tool (command) from Windows 10 or Mac computer. Firewall on both computers should be allowed to accept ping commands.
Obviously you must know the IP address or the Windows 10 computer name to take remote desktop from Mac OS X.
Remote Desktop App for Mac and How to Use for Windows 10 RDP
1) Check and make sure network connectivity is working fine.
Use ping command for this purpose. Your destination Windows computer should accept and respond to incoming ICMP (Echo packets) ping requests as described in this guide.
2) Microsoft Remote Desktop app for Mac is a great Mac RDP client to manage and control Windows 10 or 8.1 PCs.
You can download the MS RDP client from official app store here.
3) Installation is very simple. The best part of this MS RDP client is, you can save the RDP connections and it’s settings of Windows client and Server Operating Systems. It’s very similar to RDP manager for Windows 8.1 we discussed earlier here. Also, you can use this app to connect Remote resources of Windows OS from Mac OS X Yosemite and RDP to Azure cloud Remote App.
Here we will be setting up the normal RDP to Windows clients and server Operating Systems only.
4) In the new App, Click on New and configure the valid client PC IP (or PC name) and credentials which have RDP access on particular Windows computer.
PC Name – It could be the IP address of Windows 10/8.1 PC you are trying to take remote desktop connection from Mac OS X. If you have the DNS server internally that can convert the PC (Computer) name to IP address, then you can enter the correct PC name here.
User Name and Password – Should have the valid access on remote computer. A normal Windows user must be added to ‘Remote Desktop Users’ group to have remote access on Windows PC. Administrators are already in this group.
5) On the slow network connection, you can reduce the resolution and Colors to work RDP smoothly. Though the graphical experience will be limited, but you will not get lagging issue.
Colors: You can change the quality of colors of the RDP connection. Reducing the colors like 8 bit will allow to have smoother RDP connection (but with less color quality) on slow network connections. This tweak will help to take remote desktop to Windows computer from Mac OS X on slower networks like WAN and via internet connection.
6) There are few more options, such as where to play the sound and redirect any folders from Mac OS X to Windows 10 computer so you can access Mac OS X folders inside Windows computer during the RDP session.
Here is an example of settings up folder redirection of a Mac folder inside Windows 10 RDP connection on 10.10 Yosemite.
7) As said earlier, these every individual settings for each RDP connection can be saved on this app, so it will be easy to access frequently needed RDP connections from Mac OS X easily without setting up again and entering password.
This is the best, simple and free RDP client that can be used from Mac to Windows 8.1 or 10, moreover it is from Microsoft which will work better for Windows Operating Systems.
There are few more free and paid RDP apps for Mac available on internet. Some are more flexible with extra features and others can trigger few security vulnerabilities as they are not being updated/supported.
Other RDP Clients For Mac OS X to Windows 8.1,10
These are the few famous RDP clients for Mac OS X which allow to take remote desktop connection to Windows and other Operating Systems.
Hope this guide would be helpful to find and use the best remote desktop app for Mac that can be used on almost all versions of Mac OS X.