Sysprobs already covered several hackintosh installations on virtualization software such as VMware and VirtualBox. Since network worked out of the box for all installations for me, I missed to show the details of setting up network inside Mac OS X guest machine. This post shows how to setup network and internet access in Mac OS X Leopard (Snow Leopard also) Virtual machine in VMware.
This guide is having two parts.
1) Configure internet access when network adapter is working fine inside Mac OS X guest machine.
(This method will be applicable for Snow Leopard (10.6) installation which is mentioned here.
2) Install network adapter driver (not official) inside VM when network adapter is not working properly.
(This is not applicable for 10.6)
Part – 1, Configure Internet when network adapter is working in Leopard Virtual Machine
1) First we will make sure network adapter in working fine inside Mac OS X Virtual machine in VMware.
Open Utilities in Go menu.
Open Network Utility now.
2) The above screen will give an idea about virtual network status.
If ‘Hardware Address’ shows all 000000, then it’s a problem with network adapter.
To fix this issue, follow the steps.
a) Check the network adapter settings in virtual machine’s configuration in VMware. Make sure its connected and connected at power on option is enabled.
b) Disconnect the cable (virtual) and connect again.
Better to restart the VM now and see the result again.
If nothing solves the issues, then move to part two.
Since Hardware Address is not showing 0000 values, our network adapter is working fine here. But, IP address is not valid in this case (it’s an APIPA).
3) Before configuring internet inside Mac virtual machine, first understand the internet connectivity and IP address setup in host computer, where it’s either by wireless or wired network and DHCP or static IP.
In both wireless and wired cases, if the host computer network adapter can get IP address automatically (by DHCP from internet router or any other servers), you can bridge the virtual network adapter to working host computer’s network adapter.
To do it,
Go to settings of virtual machine and select network settings.
The above settings will make the Leopard Virtual machine’s virtual network adapter like a physical network adapter connected to physical network as how host computer is connected.
So, virtual network adapter will get the same IP (range), gateway and DNS address from DHCP in physical network.
Internet should work inside Mac Leopard virtual machine now.
To make sure the connectivity,
Open terminal in Utilities (in Go menu), ping your host computer’s physical network adapter IP, Gateway IP (Mostly your internet router) and DNS IP (Your ISP -internet Service Provider).
4) If the above step did not work, then follow this.
We can enable NAT network connection type to get the internet in virtual machine.
On the same screen in step 3, change the Network connection type to ‘NAT’. This will share the host’s IP.
The VMware NAT service will assign an IP to virtual network adapter which can communicate to host computer’s IP and outside IP addresses.
Though it will work without restarting, I suggest restarting the virtual machine after set up the network connection type to NAT.
Above IP information is with NAT mode. The IP address is valid and I can ping to outside world now. Internet is working inside Mac OS X Leopard virtual machine now.
This method is applicable for 10.6 Snow Leopard also.
Part – 2, Configure Internet Access when network adapter is not working in Leopard Virtual Machine
1) If the Hardware Address shows all 00000000 even after tried to fix the issue in step 2 in Part 1, we have option to install a special driver package for network adapter inside Mac OS X Leopard guest.
2) Create a snapshot at this point.
3) The installation steps are available here.
4) Once driver installed properly, check the bridged and NAT modes mentioned in part 1.
v.1.0 1043 driver package will work with 10.5 Leopard OS X. I have not tried this method on my computer since network worked straight away.
If you could not manage to setup network as shown in part 1, then try this method and share the outcome with us.
There are several successful installations conveyed by users in specific original thread. If anything goes wrong, restore the snapshot.
I would like to hear your feedback about these steps on Setup network and Internet access in Mac OS X Leopard in VMware Virtual machine.
Do share the outcome from these steps.