StartWind iSCSI software is a famous professional product that can be used in production environment as network storage by converting a physical server. Their new enhanced product is available as beta for test. You can request your copy and play around new features of StarWind iSCSi SAN v5.8 beta version.
Earlier I have published a guide on installing StarWind software on virtual machine (by using VMware) and use that virtual machine as network storage for testing purpose in virtual lab environment. Click here to read the guide. You can use the same method to test v5.8 beta without installing on physical server.
StarWind iSCSi SAN v5.8- is now enhanced by powerful Backup technology included as a plug-in. Backup plug-in is built specifically for Hyper-V-based environments to provide fast backup and restore for Hyper-V virtual machines. It is very easy to set up and use; it makes backups just a simple task and allows fast restore of both virtual machines and individual files. Hyper-V Backup plug-in is integrated with StarWind Single Management Console that enables managing backup and storage from the single window.
What Else New?
- Deduplication: Plug-in has been reworked to support data journaling. Snapshots support added.
- High availability: New version of plug-in.
- Standard raw image files can be used for creating HA devices.
- MS iSCSI transport for sync channel has been substituted by new transport implementation.
- Several network interfaces can be used for synchronization and heartbeat channel.
- Heartbeat channel setting is required. It’s recommended to use client network as heartbeat channel. This channel is used for transferring service messages only, so it doesn’t produce any substantial network traffic.
- Switch partner feature. New partner node can be assigned to existing HA device node. Old partner must not be used after switching HA device to the new partner node. Client MPIO connections should be reconfigured to use path to the new partner instead of the old one.
- Automatic HA device synchronization after both nodes were down. If HA device can identify which node has the most recent and correct data, it brings this node online automatically and synchronizes the other node. If device cache mode is write-back and at least one node has not been turned off normally (for example, both nodes were down at the same time after power loss), HA device is not able to run autosync procedure.
- RAM disk: serial Id generation algorithm changed. Now serial id is unique across different machines in the network. You can still add predefined IDs to configuration file for RAM devices.
- SPTI: Buffer alignment parameter is used when checking device properties on service initialization.
How to Download StarWind iSCSi SAN v5.8 with Backup plug-in Beta?
Currently the package can be obtained by registration or contacting them.
1) Register here http://www.starwindsoftware.com/beta-testing-program and get it via your e-mail address