This is to inform that our earlier 10.9 virtual machine can be upgraded to OS X 10.10 Yosemite on VMware workstation with Windows host. We have used pre installed Mavericks OS X 10.9 and online Apple app store Yosemite update installer for testing purpose and it worked well. You can safely upgrade the current Mavericks virtual machine on Windows 7 or Windows 8 host to latest Yosemite 10.10 on VMware workstation, if you have used original vanilla kernel perilously or our earlier this guide.
We have earlier published a guide to install and use Mavericks on VMware with Windows host. By any chance you like to try the Apple’s new Operating System Yosemite on Windows PC or laptop with virtualization software VMware workstation or VMware player, you can follow this step.
Still I could not figure out the way to do fresh installation of OS X 10.10 on VMware since the update is available through existing app store in Mac OS X only. I will continuously try possible methods and update in this blog when I succeeded with fresh installation of Yosemite on VMware workstation.
Here is the existing OS X 10.9 on VMware workstation 10, Windows 8.1 host which will be used for upgrade.
Installation is straightforward as doing it on physical apple computer. It’s highly recommended to take snapshot before starting update to 10.10. It will be helpful in case any issues with the update, you can revert back the virtual machine to previous state and start using your old Operating System.
This is for testing and experiment purpose only. You can’t expect all features in Yosemite OS X including good quality graphics, video display and audio inside virtual machine by this method.
1) Go to Apple beta program and register for 10.10 OS X download. Execute the download process inside virtual machine, so it will launch in App store to download OS X Yosemite update app. It’s around 5.7 GB file.
2) Once it is downloaded, start the update process. Make sure you have taken the snapshot at least by now.
3) Select the existing disk for installation. Mostly you will have single hard disk to select.
4) Virtual machine will reboot and continue the installation.
5) Once the update is done, you will land on OS X 10.10 Yosemite desktop in VMware workstation on Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 7 PC.
Not much improvements in graphical and overall performance inside virtual machine, but it is good enough to see and test what’s new in OS X 10.10 on your normal Windows PC.
You can skip the Apple ID login and use your earlier Mavericks password to login new OS X.
If someone is ready to make this VMware image as a torrent, that would be helpful for others who can directly use the OS X 10.10 VMware pre installed image in Windows without this update process.
Hope this simple guide would be helpful.