If you are looking for a solution to update the existing hackintosh Snow leopard on VMware workstation or VMware Player on Intel/AMD computer to latest 10.6.8 update, here is the small guide. The upgrade process is very straight forward with few precautions and I’m showing it in my Windows 7 computer.
The existing Snow leopard in VMware is running by the method we earlier used by VMware pre installed VMDK file.
You can download the combo or separate Snow leopard 10.6.8 updates from here ( More information also available)
Her are the few things you must consider before update,
1) IOUSB Kext files – Sometimes USB keyboard and mouse will stop after the update.
2) Sound may stop working.
3) Always better to use manual software update.
How to Update to Hackintosh 10.6.8 in VMware.
1) Download the Combo or separate 10.6.8 update (it depends on current Snow Leopard version). Transfer the downloaded update package to virtual machine if you have not downloaded from Virtual machine.
2) TAKE A SNAPSHOT. I assume you are using in VMware workstation. So, take a snapshot of current state.
3) Read this article about how to fix USB devices issues after the update. You need to download the required packages and transfer to virtual machine.
Here is the working Snow leopard in VMware with Windows 7 computer before update.
I’m having 10.6.6 in VMware and I did the IOUSB Kext files update already.
If you are updating from 10.6.0 to 10.6.8, then better do the IOUSB replacement.
4) Now run the 10.6.8 update package (Manual update)
5) Once installation is done, DO NOT RESTART the virtual machine.
6) That’s it. After the restart you should be able to see the update Snow leopard 10.6.8 in VMware.
Issues and How to Solve Them?
1) If the Virtual machine crashes after the update, try to change the Number of cores per processor to 1 even though your processor has more the 1 core ( like core2duo and quardcore)
2) Go to more boot options by pressing ENTER or F8 and start the OS X with –v option.
I’m not sure how this is helpful, but it works.
Apple updated the AppleHDA audio support with 10.6.8 update, that’s why the sound is problem in most of the cases. But, luckily sound works perfectly inside virtual machine with VMware after the update.