VMware upgraded their desktop virtualization products to latest versions. VMware workstation 8.0.1 and VMware Player 4.0.1 is out with minor updates and they called them as ‘Official support to Ubuntu 11.10 guest’.
So, what will come in to our minds next? how about trying 3D unity inside virtual machine?. I tried all possible methods to get 3D unity after installing latest VMware tools 8.0.1, but nothing worked out.
The easy install of Ubuntu 11.10 in latest VMware Workstation 8.0.1 worked well for me, which did not work earlier. Also, other all features including 2D unity worked fine.
What is the use of official support for Ubuntu 11.10 guest?
Here are the latest updates/fixes for Ubuntu 11.10 guest in latest VMware release ( Read more in official site)
- Ubuntu 11.10 is officially supported as a guest operating system.
- An Ubuntu 11.10 guest crashed with a signal 11 error if you installed or upgraded VMware Tools.
- Easy Install did not properly function on Ubuntu 11.10.
- CD/DVD mount Linux.iso failed while installing VMware Tools in Ubuntu 11.10 guests.
- The AltGr key was not working in an Ubuntu guest in Unity mode when the host and guest keyboards were both set to a layout that contained the AltGr key.
Latest Oracle VirtualBox 4.1.6 also claimed that, it started supporting 3D in Fedora 15 and Ubuntu 11.10 guests, but still I have not succeeded with straightforward 3D unity in guest machine.
Anyhow, as I mentioned in earlier guide on install guest additions and start the 3D unity manually in VirtualBox, the same technique did not work in VMware workstation or VMPlayer.
Replacing 3D unity by typing,
was throwing some errors in terminal and no display appearance is changed inside guest machine.
Therefore, even though VMware’s latest release is supporting Ubuntu 11.10 ‘officially’, but 3D support is still an issue or there could be a long work around to get 3D unity.
I will keep trying Ubuntu 11.10 3D unity in VMware and update here if I find something useful.