The task of picking the best laptop for photo editing and Photoshop jobs is not simple since there are few specs and features to consider that can handle this demanding job without any lags and increases productivity. We have made your task simpler by short-listing the best laptops and desktop computers for this specific purpose after rigorous testing and evaluating customer feedback.
Photo editing jobs can be fun with a computer having perfect specifications and features needed for high-end editing tasks and high-quality output. The computers for video editing or photo editing are supported by high-resolution speedy graphics cards and large storage capacity.
You can quickly jump to a laptop or desktop area below;
Features to Consider While Selecting The Best Laptop for Photo Editing (Desktop Computers Too)
Desktop Vs. Laptop – What Should I Choose?
One of the most asked questions while choosing the right machine for photo and video editing is “should I choose a laptop or desktop?”. It is not that easy to go out and spend huge money on buying a computer that could efficiently run Photoshop & Lightroom. But in the real world choosing the best computer for photo editing and photoshop is a daunting process.
The dilemma starts with whether you want a laptop or desktop. To decide on this, you need to analyze whether your work involves visiting several places or you stay in one place and finish the job. If you are working from one place, then the desktop PC’s could be a great choice while laptops are good for those who travel a lot. Also, desktop PC’s can be upgraded, but laptop’s has limited potential to do so.
Apart from this, several other factors play an important role while choosing the right computer. Here are the three most important things you should consider
Since photos used in Photoshop work has a large size due to high resolution, you need a large storage area for saving these files. A minimum of 1 terabyte capacity is recommended though it’s not the bottom line since you can always use the external hard drive to extend the storage room.
To do photo editing tasks you need to open large files, editing software, photo filters and some more supporting apps and files. To handle multitasking and heavy files you need a powerful processor on a desktop.
A large size screen with high resolution is mandatory to optimize the photo-editing tasks. You need to see clear and crisp pictures without any reflection, so you are required to have an anti-glare or anti-reflective screen in order to enjoy the editing work fully.
VRAM or most commonly called video RAM is one of the vital features to look at while picking the best desktop for photo-editing computers. It is the VRAM that renders graphics on the monitor. Look out for a minimum of 1GB VRAM for all photo editing tasks.
7 Best Laptops for Photoshop and Photo Editing
Taking your work portable is probably the goal of most people these days and a laptop is a solution for that, of course. Many people also would like to take their Photoshop, and photo editing works portable as well. While a custom-built desktop computer packs a better punch than most laptops available, there are laptops, even cheaper ones, that are great for this purpose. For such work, an Intel Core i5 processor or higher along with a decent graphics card is enough to get your job done. Gaming laptops or premium laptops usually fall in this range, but the prices can range from around $600 to very high if you want the best in performance and premium hardware specifications.
1) Acer Aspire E 15 576G
Acer Aspire E 15 is a budget laptop that can fit the basic image editing requirements. It is a little heavier, thicker laptop that never fails to deliver a fantastic performance. Thanks to its quad-core, 8th generation Intel processor and 8GB RAM. Though it is a bit heavier laptop, its distinct graphics card, various ports, and DVD drive makes it a great value product for media editors on budget.
It comes with an 8th generation Intel Core i5-8250U processor, 15.6-inch display with 1920×1080 pixels resolutions, 8GB dual-channel memory, 256GB solid-state drive, distinct NVIDIA GeForce MX150 graphics processor with 2 GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM. These all specs sum up to make it a powerful productivity-oriented laptop that can be utilized for photo and video editing as well as can do casual gaming.
Another thing we liked about this is it has easy access to the hard drive so that anyone can able to upgrade it. 1The 5.6-inch display is sharp, provides vivid colors under the right settings. It feels a little dim yet works perfectly in an office set-up, but you can’t use it longer in outdoor light.
- Processor – 8th gen Intel Core i5-8250U Processor (Up to 3.4GHz)
- RAM – 8GB dual-channel memory
- VRAM – 2GB GDDR5
- Storage – 256 SSD
- Graphics card – NVIDIA GeForce MX150
- Weight – 5.27 pounds
- Battery life – Up to 15 hours
- USB ports – 3 USB 3.0 ports & 1 USB 2.0 port
- Excellent battery life
- Plenty of USB ports for better connectivity
- Optical drive
- Comes at an affordable price
- Heavier laptop
- Dull display
- 8th Generation Intel Core i5-8250U Processor (Up to 3.4GHz)
2) LG Gram 17Z990-R.AAS9U1 Thin and Light Laptop
The LG Gram is a thin and lightweight laptop that features a 17-inch IPS display. It is powered by the 8th generation Intel Core i7 processor that ensures lag-free performance for up to 19.5 hours. The Integrated graphics card and large screen size make this laptop perfect for photo editing.
It also comes with a large storage space that enables you to store your essential files and documents. The powerful processor allows you to install the required photo-editing apps. Moreover, the thin and lightweight design makes the laptop easily portable. Hence, you can edit photos and videos with ease on the go.
- Processor: 8th generation Intel Core i7-8565U processor (up to 4.6 GHz).
- Graphics card: Integrated Intel Graphics.
- Display: 17 inches IPS display with a resolution of 2560 x 1600.
- RAM: 16 GB DDR4 RAM.
- Storage: 1 TB (512 GB x 2) NVMe SSD.
- Interface: Thunderbolt 3.
- Weight: 2.95 pounds.
- Battery Life: up to 19.5 hours.
- Ports: 3 USB 3.0 ports.
- The thin and lightweight design makes the laptop easily portable.
- Large screen size and storage.
- It comes with long battery life.
- The trackpad is a bit flimsy.
- It is quite expensive.
- 8th Gen. Intel Core i7 Processor (i7-8565u)
3) HP 15 15.6″ HD Touchscreen Premium Laptop
HP is a leading brand that deals with the manufacture of laptops, computers, and other related products. The HP 15 premium laptop is equipped with the latest 10th generation Intel Core i5 processor. The powerful processor is powered by turbo boost technology that ensures a base frequency of up to 3.6 GHz.
The 15.6 inches WLED touchscreen backlit display serves as the perfect display option for photo editing. Moreover, the SSD boot up ensures fast boot up for the quick transfer of files. It allows you to enjoy a snappier experience with the internal solid-state drive of 512 GB SSD.
The laptop is thin and lightweight making it the ideal travel partner. It is also equipped with ports that ensure extensive connectivity for fast data transfer. The wireless WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity offer convenience to the user at all times.
- Processor: 10th generation Intel Core i5-1035g1 processor with base frequency up to 3.6 GHz.
- Graphics card: Dedicated Intel UHD graphics.
- RAM: 16 GB DDR4 RAM.
- Storage: 512 GB PCle NVMe SSD.
- Display: 15.6-inch diagonal HD SVA bright view micro-edge WLED backlit touch-screen display with a resolution of 1366 x 768 p.
- Weight: 5.4 pounds.
- Rear webcam resolution: 1 MP.
- Ports: 1 HDMI, 1 USB 3.1 Type-C, 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1, and 1 headphone/microphone combo.
- Battery: 41 WHr 3-cell lithium-ion batteries, up to 6 hours.
- The laptop is affordable and easily available for under $1000.
- It is capable of transferring files within seconds.
- It ensures a powerful and lag-free performance.
- The laptop features a touch screen display.
- The battery life is not impressive.
- The laptop does not ensure seamless WiFi connectivity.
- Fast Processor 10th Generation intel(r) core(tm) i5-1035g1 Processor quad-core 1 0 GHz Base frequency up to 3 6 GHz with Intel's) Turbo Boost Technology
4) Lenovo Ideapad 330 Touchscreen Laptop
The Lenovo Ideapad 330 is powered by the 8th generation Intel Core i5 processor that comes with a speed of 3.6 GHz. The powerful processor ensures high performance and allows you to install the various photo-editing apps without the fear of lag.
The 15.5-inch LED display is enhanced with the Intel UHD graphics that come with shared graphics memory. The stylish grey laptop offers wireless connectivity for the seamless transfer of data. Moreover, the two speakers that include Dolby Audio processing enhance your overall experience.
- Processor: 8th generation Intel Core i5-8250 1.60 GHz Quad-Core processor (up to 3.4 GHz).
- Graphics Card: Intel UHD Graphics 620.
- RAM: 8 GB DDR4 SDRAM.
- Storage: 1 TB hard drive.
- Display: 15.6-inch HD LED touch screen backlit display.
- Screen Resolution: 1366 x 768 p.
- Weight: 4.84 pounds.
- Battery Life: 2-cell lithium-ion batteries, 30 Wh up to 5 hours.
- Ports: 1 USB 3.0 Type-C, 2 USB 3.0, 1 HDMI, 1 RJ-45 connector, and 1 combination audio jack.
- Audio: 2 x 1.5 W speakers with Dolby Audio Processing.
- Wireless connectivity: Bluetooth 4.1 and Intel wireless AC WLAN.
- It comes with a built-in HD webcam and an integrated digital microphone.
- The laptop ensures a fast and lag-free performance.
- It is easy to carry around.
- This is an excellent laptop available for under $800.
- The construction of the laptop was a bit flimsy.
- It is a bit bulky.
- 15.6" HD LED-backlit Touchscreen (1366 x 768) Display
5) Dell XPS 15 9570
Dell XPS 15 9570 is undoubtedly built to handle a heavy workload of video & photo editors. Not only that, but you can also play games too. It looks classy, elegant and impressive with the silver aluminium finish body while the keyboard deck is encased with carbon fibre material.
Intel’s 8th generation i7-8750H CPU provides the necessary performance along with 16GB RAM. It is also available with 8GB RAM but as a photo or video editor, you should go with the 16GB variant. It comes with 512GB SSD storage, 15.6-inch display that has 1920×1080 pixels resolution with InfinityEdge & anti-glare features. Having a 5.7mm bezel Dell is able to maximize the screen size closer to the 14-inch. It has NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics processor with 4Gb graphics card RAM. All these specifications add up to prove that the Dell XPS 9570 is a true choice for video editors, music producers or programmers.
- Processor – 8th gen Intel Core i7-8750H
- RAM – Available in 8GB & 16GB RAM
- Storage – Available in 256GB & 512GB SSD
- Graphics card – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
- Weight – 4.41 pounds
- Battery life – Full day battery life
- USB ports – 2 USB 3.0 ports, 1 Thunderbolt 3 port, HDMI
- Better battery life
- Good port selection
- Excellent CPU performance
- May cause DPS latency issues (source)
- 8th Generation Intel Core i7 8750H Processor 9MB Cache, up to 4.1 gigahertz
6) MSI GV62 8RD-200 – Best for Photo Editing and Gaming
Buying a budget laptop that will handle photo and video editing gracefully is a very difficult task unless and until you got your hands on MSI GV63 8RD-200. It is a reasonably priced laptop that carries a sturdy, attractive look with SteelSeries red backlit keys and provides impressive performance.
Though it is aimed at low budget gamers, with impressive specs, this laptop can be used for photo and video editing without worrying about lags. It carries 8th generation Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 16GB Intel Optane memory, 1TB HDD and 3GB VRAM. Though the VRAM seems to be a bit on the lower side for heavy tasks, we believe that 3GB can handle video and photo editing really well. 15.6-inch full HD EDP IPS-level display when paired with MSI’s NTSC display technology, can able to give you vivid colours with cool imagery.
- Processor – 8th gen Intel Core i5-8300H
- RAM – 8GB DDR4
- Storage – 1TB HDD
- Graphics card – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
- VRAM – 3GB
- Weight – 4.8 pounds
- Battery life – up to 3.5 to 4hrs
- High-performance laptop on a budget.
- Great specifications
- Comfy keyboard with backlit keys (only red color)
- Poor battery life
- The display is not bright enough
- Display: 15.6" Full HD EDP IPS-Level | Operating System: Win 10 Multi-language
7) Apple MacBook Pro 15 (Newest Version)
An incredibly speedy, well-built laptop that allure every creative artist. No matter whether you are a musician, programmer, heavy photoshop user or a gamer, Apple MacBook Pro is certainly built for you. It’s a thinner, lightweight laptop with good battery backup, so you can carry it around easily without worrying about back pain and battery life.
As expected, it has all the latest specs. Presently you can choose between either the 8th generation i7 or the i9 Intel Core processor. Both of them has 16GB RAM and ultrafast SSD storage that ranges from 256GB, 512GB to 1TB. Bright and crisp image quality is maintained on a 15.4-inch retina display using the Radeon Pro 560X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching, Intel UHD Graphics 630.
What made us include this laptop in this list is its incredibly fast performance. We didn’t just pay attention to its specs but gone through several reviews by real users and found that Apple MacBook Pro is an ultrafast machine that comes with SSD. Being a photo editor, you will agree with us that Photoshop demands high performing CPU and GPU. Apply doesn’t fail to fulfil both of these.
- Processor – Available in 8th gen i7 & i9 Intel Core processor.
- RAM – 16GB
- Storage – Available in 256GB, 512Gb and 1TB SSD
- Graphics card – Radeon Pro 560X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory
- Weight – 4 pounds
- Battery life – Up to 10 hours
- Ultrafast performance
- Lightweight and slim
- Sharp display that provides vivid colors
- Outstanding battery life
- May cause heat and become warm underside.
- Expensive machine
- Has butterfly-switch keys. Some users experienced discomfort and noise while using it.
- Brilliant Retina Display with True Tone technology
Whether you are budget conscious or if you have a really big budget, you can find very good laptops for Photoshop and photo editing in any price range. So here we listed the laptops that can handle this specific task well now and future. You can find gaming laptops or premium laptops like the Dell XPS or Apple MacBook Pro that are great in this scenario. Cheaper laptops are getting better, powerful and energy-efficient so you can also take your workaround to want anywhere to go. If you like to work on a desk, you can connect your new laptop to a large external display for more productivity.
6 Best Computers for Photo Editing and Photoshop
1) Acer Aspire TC-885-UA92 Desktop
The Acer Aspire TC-885-UA92 desktop comes with a USB keyboard and mouse. The 9th generation Intel Core i5 processor comes with a turbo boost speed of up to 4.1 GHz. The powerful processor is teamed with the Integrated Intel UHD graphics co-processor, allowing you to edit photos and videos with ease.
It offers plenty of speed, power, and storage to edit, play, and do much more. The high-speed performance also enables you multi-task. The robust desktop is capable of performing basic computing tasks efficiently.
Moreover, it comes with an iconic look. The black chassis cover and unique ridged edges enhance the sophisticated aesthetic of your room. Also, the HD 5.1 channel surround audio will allow you to listen to voices and special effects with improved clarity. It is an ideal desktop that ensures smooth and fast performance at all times.
- Processor: 9th generation Intel Core i5-9400 processor (up to 4.1 GHz).
- Graphics Card: Integrated Intel UHD Graphics.
- RAM: 12 GB DDR4 RAM.
- Storage: 512 GB SSD.
- Operating System: Windows 10 OS.
- Weight: 14.9 pounds.
- Ports: 1 USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 port, 1 USB 3.1 Gen 2 port, 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 port, 4 USB 2.0 ports, 2 HDMI, and 1 VGA port.
- Wireless Connectivity: 802.11AC, Gigabit Ethernet LAN, and Bluetooth 5.0.
- Audio: HD 5.1 channel surround sound.
- The HD 5.1 surround sound ensures an immersive audio experience.
- It allows you to multitask smoothly and efficiently.
- The wireless technology offers a speed that is three times faster than the previous wireless technologies.
- Acer Care provides a wide range of services that will keep your desktop running efficiently.
- The black chassis and design enhance the sophisticated aesthetic of your room.
- The build quality of the desktop is poor.
- It turns slow after a few months of use.
- 9th Generation Intel Core i5-9400 Processor (Up to 4. 1GHz)
2) Apple iMac MK482LL/A (Powerful but Expensive)
If you are a die-hard fan of Apple MAC OS and have no budget issues, iMac MK482LL/A is the best pick since it provides all the features needed for a rich graphics experience. With 14.7 million Pixels, the 27 Inches wider screen offers 25% more colors for a vibrant and true anti-reflective display. The fabulous Retina 5K display is powered by AMD Radeon 2GB R9 300-series graphics card.
Speed-wise, this desktop does not lag even running high-end games or when working on simultaneous applications. The multitasking and high speed are provided by a Quad-core 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5 processor and 8 GB of DDR3 RAM. On Apple iMac MK482LL/A, you can handle all the Photoshop or other designing jobs without any complaints. Now for the storage, it’s going to impress you with its large 2TB fusion drive for storing enough stuff.
The design of this laptop is eye-catching with its ultra-thin 5mm profile. The body looks sleek and compact with aluminum and glass finish. You don’t need to buy an extra keyboard or mouse since they are bundled with the unit, and both the accessories are pre-paired with iMac. The other features include two Thunderbolt ports, four USB 3.0 ports, and an HD face camera. This desktop with the groundbreaking 5K display is highly recommended for video editing and photography jobs.
- Processor – 7th gen 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor.
- Storage – available in 1TB and 2TB.
- Display – 27-inch (diagonal) 5120-by-2880 Retina 5K display
- Graphics – available in Radeon Pro 570 with 4GB of VRAM & Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB of VRAM
- Impressive, colorful 5k retina display
- Faster video editing and gaming
- Expensive desktop
- Uses 7th gen processor (more advanced version of Intel processor available in the market)
- 27-inch (diagonal) 5120-by-2880 Retina 5K display
3) Acer Aspire C24-865-ACi5NT AIO Desktop
Require high performing desktop but tight on budget? Acer Aspire C24 desktop comes to your rescue. At an amazingly low price, it has impressive specs that attract the attention of every Photoshop user. It may not be the best solution but its slim design, powerful performance, and relatively low price make it a perfect choice for video and photo editors.
Its name is sufficient to understand that it’s an AIO means all-in-one pc. Though it is considered an entry-level AIO pc, the screen comes with full HD, 1920×1080 pixels resolutions and edge-to-edge LED-backlit display. The only thing that display didn’t satisfy is its 23.8-inch size which we believe is a little less than what a video editor demands but again you get what you pay for.
It comes with an 8th generation Intel Core i5 processor, 12GB RAM, 1TB SATA HDD, Intel UHD Graphics 620 and various ports including 2.0, 3.0 and HDMI. On top of that, the 1-year warranty on parts and limited labor warranty assure you to go for this desktop. Considering
- Processor – 8th gen Intel Core i5
- RAM – 12GB DDR4
- Storage – 1TB HDD
- Graphics Processor – Intel HD Graphics 620
- Display – 23.8-inch full HD
- USB ports – 2 USB 2.0, 2 USB 3.0 and 1 HDMI port
- The budget desktop that has some decent performance
- Slim desktop with an elegant display
- HDD may result in sluggish performance while editing videos and photos
- The display is smaller in size
- 8th Generation Intel Core i5 8250U Processor 1.6GHz (Up to 3.4GHz); Operating System Architecture: 64 bit
4) Dell Inspiron Premium Desktop
The Dell Inspiron Premium Desktop is a budget-friendly desktop option. It is powered by the 9th generation Intel Core i5 processor that comes with a turbo boost speed of up to 4.1 GHz. The powerful processor ensures exceptional performance. This is teamed with the Intel UHD 630 graphics, making it suitable for photo editing.
The desktop is equipped with 12 GB RAM that allows you to multi-task efficiently. Moreover, the 128 GB SSD and 1 TB HDD ensure fast boot up. It also provides adequate space for storing important files, folders, and documents. The CPU also comes with a wide number of ports for extensive connectivity.
- Processor: 9th generation Intel 6-Core i5-9400 processor (turbo boost speed up to 4.1 GHz).
- Graphics Card: Integrated Intel UHD 630 graphics.
- RAM: 12 GB DDR4 RAM.
- Storage: 128 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD.
- Wireless Connectivity: Bluetooth 4.0 and 802.11bgn.
- Ports: 4 USB 2.0, 2 USB 3.1, 1 HDMI, 1 VGA, 1 headphone/microphone combo jack, and 1 card reader.
- Weight: 14.09 pounds.
- It includes a wired keyboard and mouse.
- The desktop ensures fast boot-up and data transfer.
- The revolutionary and compact design saves space.
- The updated and contemporary desktop does not compromise performance.
- It is easy to set up.
- It is not ideal for office work.
- Latest 9th Gen Intel Six-Core i5-9400 processor, 2.90GHz with Turbo upto 4.1GHz, 9MB SmartCache
5) Dell Optiplex 990 Desktop Computer Package
The Dell Optiplex 990 computer package includes a 20-inch monitor, keyboard, mouse, and motherboard that is the backbone of the computer. It is powered by the latest Intel Quad-Core i5 processor that determines the overall computer speed. The 16 GB DDR3 RAM and 2 TB hard drives ensure its reliability and compatibility.
The Windows 10 operating system ensures complete security against malware. Moreover, it allows you to store, organize, and edit your photos and videos with ease. The desktop is equipped with built-in connectivity that allows you to stay connected with the world at all times. You can also connect the CPU to large and multiple monitors through the DisplayPort technology.
A desktop is an affordable option, which is suitable for all those under a budget. The crisp sound and spectacular graphics also enable you to play intense computer games for hours.
- Processor: Intel Quad-Core i5 processor (up to 3.1 GHz).
- Graphics Card: Integrated Intel UHD Graphics.
- RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM.
- Storage: 2 TB HDD.
- Weight: 16 pounds.
- Screen Size: 20 inches
- Operating System: Windows 10.
- The computer package is available at an affordable price.
- It provides a phenomenal media and gaming experience.
- The computer ensures high-speed performance.
- It is suitable for daily tasks, including browsing the internet, creating documents or spreadsheets, streaming data, etc.
- You can use the start menu and search bar to find things quickly.
- It does not boot up quickly.
- Users complained that the hard drive failed after a few days of use.
- POWERFUL PROCESSOR - Configured with top of the line series processor for lightning fast, reliable and consistent performance to ensure an exceptional PC experience.
6) Lenovo IdeaCentre 520 AIO Desktop Computer
The Lenovo IdeaCentre 520 all-in-one desktop computer comes with a 27-inch monitor. The monitor features a QHD display that makes it ideal for photoshop and photo editing. Moreover, the latest 8th generation Intel Core i5 processor ensures a high-speed and lag-free performance. You can multi-task and transfer files efficiently.
The QHD display is enhanced by the Integrated Intel graphics. Also, the 16 GB M.2 Optane and 1 TB hard drive allow you to store and organize your files, videos, and photos. The all-in-one desktop computer is fast, responsive and available at an affordable price range. The set also includes a USB keyboard and mouse.
Key features –
- Processor: 8th generation Intel Core i5-8400T processor (1.70 GHz, up to 3.3 GHz with turbo boost technology).
- Graphics Card: Integrated Intel UHD 630 graphics.
- RAM: 8 GB DDR4 SDRAM.
- Storage: 16 GB M.2 Optane + 1 TB hard drive.
- Weight: 31.4 pounds.
- Display: 27 inches QHD touch screen WVA display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440 p.
- Wireless Connectivity: Bluetooth 4.0 + 802.11AC.
- Ports: 2 USB 3.0, USB Type-C, 2 USB 2.0, HDMI-in, HDMI-out, audio/ microphone jack combo, 1 RJ-45 connector.
- The all-in-one desktop computer is available at an affordable price range.
- It comes with upgrade options.
- The memory and storage allow you to multi-task and transfer files quickly.
- No negative points were seen so far.
- 8th Generation Intel Core i5-8400T Processor (1.70GHz, upto 3.3GHz with Turbo Boost, 9MB Cache), Integrated Intel UHD Graphics 630
With this, we conclude the list of best desktops for photo editing. We have selected the best ones for you to decide depending on your requirements. The laptops and desktops mentioned above are equipped with powerful processors, large storage, an impressive display with large screen sizes, and beautiful graphics. Hence, they meet the requirements for photo editing.
You can easily store, organize, and edit your photos and videos on these laptops and desktops. We now come to the end of this article. We hope this article helps you make an informed purchase.