Are you looking for a solution to connect Outlook 2000 with Microsoft Exchange 2007? this post explains how to connect Outlook 2000 with MS Exchange 2007 Server as a mail client.
Recently I had to try Outlook 2000 connectivity with Exchange 2007 mail server without POP3, after several searches on internet, nothing worked. Finally, built in help from office 2000 gave a clue. I managed to connect and sync mails,Global address list and calendars with Exchange 2007 server in Outlook 2000.
Here are the Steps to Connect Outlook 2000 with MS Exchange 2007
1) After Installed Outlook, go to control panel. Open Mail icon.
2) Two types of mail services available here.
a) Internet only
b) Corporate or Workgroup
Outlook settings should be set to Corporate or workgroup service to work with Exchange server. After clicking mail icon, if it doesn’t open with corporate mail option as shown below then close everything and go to next step.
3) Open outlook, it will ask for setting up mail account. Do not create any accounts and start with No email support ( purpose is to get outlook menu).
4) Go to Tools –> Options in menu. Select Mail Services tab in Options.
5) Press Reconfigure Mail Support button at bottom.
6) Select Corporate option. Press Next, Close outlook and go to control panel again.
7) Open Mail icon. It will install some additional packages. Now you must be able to add new profile, select Microsoft Exchange Server as Service to Profile. Type Server and mailbox name, press Check Name button to get names from server.
Once it successfully picked mailbox name, we are ready to use outlook now. The problem is, this method will move your all mails from server to client like POP account. To maintain the correct purpose of Exchange server usage in cooperate level, we must leave emails in server too. Go to next step to allow offline mails settings in Outlook 2000 with Exchange 2007.
8) Go to Advanced tab in same profile settings.
Press Offline Folder File settings button as shown above. Browse for the Offline File ( ost format) where you want to keep in local computer. You have press Yes to create a ost file. Once ost file created, Enable offline use checkbox will be enabled and ticked. Now Outlook 2000 is set to work with exchange 2007 server without deleting mails from server.
9) Start outlook. you must be able to view mail box, calendars, and global address list from exchange 2007 server. if its a first time, while closing it will inform you about synchronizing mails with server, let it complete. Mails syncs can be identified by sync mark on mail boxes as shown below.
You do not need to click send and receive button. Server side rules and out office all worked well in this method. Feel free to share your comments and issues you face in this method.