SSD is one of the major hardware aspects I give importance to personal computers like laptop and desktop. In my opinion, it really boosts the performance of a computer. You will experience a big difference on the same computer when you change the disk from traditional mechanical hard disk to SSD. Though you can feel the difference, how to measure the disk speed improvement after migrating your computer to SSD? Here is the simple tool you can use to check the SSD speed in Windows 10, 8.1 and older versions. This is one of the best SSD benchmark tools any user can use it without much technical knowledge.
When it comes to checking the SSD speed, basically we need to check the data writing and reading speed of the disk. How fast it can write and read a certain size of data under certain conditions. There are many tools with extra parameters and configurations available to check the SSD speed, but for normal home or business user, the CrystelDisk tool is very simple and easy to use.
Even in the server production environment, I use this tool to benchmark the SSD speed vs. the old HDD once the physical or virtual servers are migrated to SSD storage. If you replaced your desktop or laptop computer hard disk from HDD to SSD, then this tool can give a clear idea of how much the data access speed improved (or dropped) after the changeover.
Check SSD Speed on Windows 10, 8.1 and Windows 7 Easily
- If you want to compare the speed between your old disk and new SSD disk, obviously you should do the first test on the laptop or desktop computer with old hard disk then record the results with the same Then do the test with a new SSD disk and same parameters on the same hardware.
Download the CrystalDisk Mark standard from the official site. Somehow I like the standard version which is simple and easy to use.
2. Launch the program after the installation.
You do not need to change much here except the partition you want to test. Mostly it will be the C drive which has the OS and programs files. Leave the default 1GB data size to check the write and speed of the disk. If you want to give more stress to the disk, increase the data size that will take longer time.
3. After all types of tests are over, you could see the results. To get a better result for comparison, I suggest to close all programs/files and not to do any activities on the computer while the test is running.
4. Here is the result of C drive which is SSD.
5. With the same settings, here is the test result of another partition which is a normal mechanical hard drive.
Both screenshots of the results show the major difference in disk speed. The SSD is far superior to the old HDD in my computer. You may see different results and readings, but certainly, the SSD disk speed will be much better in your case too. You can see the improvement in Operating System, programs and Gaming response.
As I said, you can find more programs and tools to test the SSD in Windows 10, but I find CrystalDiskMark is one of the best and simple SSD benchmark tool to run on any laptop and desktop computers easily. If you find any better and simple tools than CrystalDiskMark, do let me know.