This guide explains how to download and install Lion OS X pre installed VMware image in Windows 7 Intel computer. This is applicable for Windows XP, Vista and VMware workstation 8 and 7 series. Sysprobs earlier published a guide on installing fresh Mac OS X 10.7 Lion on VMware from DVD or ISO. But, this method will be easy and quick to get working Lion virtual machine in desktop virtualization software.
The particular image is created and uploaded to torrent site by zackehsoul who is having a great blog on hackintosh, called souldevteam and you can follow him in twitter for more regular updates. No virus found inside the download. The torrent download is having several patches, VMware image, and extra applications that can be installed once the image is loaded in VMware.
How to Download and load the Lion OS X VMware image
1) Make sure your physical computer is having Hardware Virtualization Technology (VT) enabled processor. Read our previous article on how to enable and check VT in BIOS.
If your computer is old and not having VT supported processor, then this torrent is having a ‘Hardware VT Unlocker’ which will make the VMware workstation to bypass VT check before booting the virtual machine OS. So, it is possible to use this method on non VT supported processors too. Since I have not tried this unlocker, you can leave comment on this after trying.
2) Download the torrent. Extract the files to local hard disk.
3) Depending on the VMware workstation version you are having; use the correct VMware unlocker to enable Mac OS X support.
Before applying the patch or not properly applied patch, the guest OS support will be look like below,
Also, if the patch is not applied properly but you started the virtual machine then it will stuck with Apple logo.
4) Open “Mac OS X Lion.vmx” file in VMware workstation. This file is located under Mac OS X Lion 10.7.1 VMware Image\Mac OS X Lion 10.7.1 VMware Image\Mac OS X Lion in extracted location.
You can modify the virtual machine’s settings according to configuration of your physical machine. Increasing RAM size and processors (cores) can be done here.
5) Before start the VM, make sure the OS X guest patch unlocker is working properly by getting additional Apple Mac OS X guest support as shown below.
6) Power on the VM now. If everything is fine, you should be able to land on working Lion OS X desktop.
7) First thing – Take a snapshot of virtual machine before do anything further. Open the “Install After Boot” folder from desktop.
Install the required packages. “Install VMware Tools”, “EnsoniqAudio Lion.pkg” will be enough to start with normal use.
The above both packages will install VMware tools (which gives better performance and multiple display screen resolutions including auto resize) and sound in guest machine.
If sound is not working even after the EnsoniqAudio package installation, then check for the sound card in virtual machine settings. If it’s not added, add the default sound card.
Here is my working Lion OS X virtual machine’s settings with added sound card.
8.) I demonstrated these steps in my Intel Core2duo 2.66GHz with Windows 7 32 bit. The Lion OS X from pre installed VMware image is working pretty well. Performance is good and I can work nicely with full screen too.
Guest network worked out of the box with normal bridged, NAT and other network modes.
Accessing host computer’s USB devices worked well.
I will share about setting up VMware shared folders in Lion OS X in coming days.
Here is the working Mac OS X 10.7.1 Lion from VMware image on VMware workstation 8.0.1 with Windows 7 32bit.
Issues on Updating to 10.7.2
There are some issues on updating this image to 10.7.2. So do not try now. Take a snapshot before do anything even if you like to try updating.
Helpful Video from Owner
Here is the video from torrent owner.