Installing Linux Operating Systems on Microsoft Virtual PC is not very straight forward, because it doesn’t support officially. But this guide shows how to install latest openSUSE 11.3 on Virtual PC with Windows 7 host with a small trick.
This installation is very easy with other desktop virtualization software such as VMware and VirtualBox. OpenSUSE 11.3 installation failed several times on Microsoft Virtual PC, then I found the way of working method. So, decided to share here.
Download the latest openSUSE 11.3 ISO from official site here.
Follow the Steps to Install openSUSE11.3 on Virtual PC
1) Create a new Virtual machine. Select OS ‘ Other’.
2) Create RAM and hard disk for new VM. I suggest to allocate more than 512MB RAM and 10GB Hard disk.
3) Power on VM and mount the downloaded ISO file while booting. Read more here how to mount ISO files in Virtual PC.
4) Select ‘Installation’ and type following commands in next screen. As I said earlier, my all installation attempts failed without these keys.
Type it in Boot options after selecting Installation.
noreplace-paravirt i8042.noloop clock=pit
Press Enter after typing. ( Don’ ask me why we have to type this)
5) Continue the installation. Under disk options, if you are not Linux or UNIX expert then better leave suggested partitioning and continue. Select desired desktop environment also, I selected GNOME.
6) I’m sure installation will go smoothly and restart automatically. You must be able to see desktop without any problems.
This method is completely for testing and seeing purpose only. Because some of the important required features did not work here, such as network, sound, and screen resolutions since we can’t install Virtual machine additions.
There is a option to input screen resolution number before booting, but unfortunately it did not work for more than 800×600 size. Even I edited Virtual machine configuration file VMC but no luck.
If any Linux experts are reading this post, please share how we can change screen size permanently in openSUSE 11.3 without proper VGA driver.
To get all features in Virtual machine, try with another free virtualization software Oracle VirtualBox as mentioned here ( Sound, display, networking and all working without installing Virtual machine guest additions). If you are a great fan of Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, then this post should help you.
Share your issues and successful methods to configure what I missed here.