You will not be seeing DynDNS DDNS settings from Fortigate FortiOS 5 to the recent versions. Only you will notice Fortinet DDNS which accessing the device via GUI. Fortinet became smart by removing this option from their web interface and pushing the users to use their dynamic DNS service with the Fortinet subscription. If you are a person using third party DDNS providers like DynDNS, then you will not find the option to configure other providers in web GUI. That doesn’t mean we can’t configure third party DDNS, this simple guide shows how to configure DynDNS DDNS on Fortigate FortiOS in CLI ( Command Line Interface) mode.
Fortigate is famous for its multi-network security functional firewall devices, powerful UTM and user-friendly web interface. They keep upgrading their OS to match up with the competitors and to add new features, fix bugs and enhance the user experience.
This is another change you would be noticing after upgraded FortiOS 5.x series, like how we had to change switch mode to interface mode by CLI. As shown below, only the FortiGuard DDNS listed for a WAN interface in FortiOS 6.x series. You will find a similar setup on the other latest versions.
The only way available to configure DynDNS or other providers in Fortigate 5 or laters versions is by using the command line.
Methods to Configure DynDNS DDNS on Fortigate FortiOS
1) Connect to the device by telnet or SSH or GUI terminal and type the following command one by one.
config system ddns edit 1 set monitor-interface "wan1" set ddns-server dyndns.org set ddns-domain "hostname" set ddns-username "username" set ddns-password password
* edit 1 – 1 is the index number of DDNS settings. Start with 1 if it’s the first DDNS settings in the Fortigate box. This index number should be used later to modify anything related to the settings of WAN port or DDNS settings.
* wan1– is the port you need to configure DDNS and obviously that should be connected to the internet.
* ddns-server – dyndns.org is the server of DynDNS service provider. For other providers, see more detail below.
* hostname – is the one you have registered at dynamic DNS provider.
* username – user name of the corresponding hostname at the provider.
* password – for the username and hostname from the provider.
The following DDNS servers can be used to configure Dynamic DNS in FortiOS 5 and later.
dhs.org — supports members.dhs.org and dnsalias.com.
dipdns.net — supports dipdnsserver.dipdns.com.
dyndns.org — supports members.dyndns.org.
dyns.net — supports www.dyns.net.
easydns.com — supports members.easydns.com.
FortiGuardDDNS — supports FortiGuard DDNS service.
genericDDNS — supports DDNS server (RFC 2136) defined in ddns-server-ip.
now.net.cn — supports ip.todayisp.com.
ods.org — supports ods.org.
tzo.com — supports rh.tzo.com.
vavic.com — supports ph001.oray.net.
Once you have configured DynDNS service, as shown above, the WAN port of the device will be monitored and changed accordingly with the name and IP.
Read Also: How to enable ping response in Windows 10
show system ddns
It will show the ddns settings of the FortiGate device in CLI which usually can’t be seen in GUI mode.
3) To edit the same ddns entry, you can use
config system ddns edit 1
Make sure to enter correct index number (eg 1) to modify.
It is recommended to take a backup of the device configuration, so you can use it in future or while replacing the existing device. By using the backup you do not need to configure DynDNS again via CLI, it is included in the backup.
Delete Existing DDNS on Fortigate
To delete existing DDNS settings for a specific network port, we need to know the ID number. In this example, it is ID 1.
Execute the below command with proper ID to delete DDNS settings via CLI.
config system ddns delete 1