If you are searching for the “My Computer” icon in Windows 10 desktop, then this guide shows the simple steps to add “This PC” shortcut on the desktop. “My Computer” (in earlier Windows Operating Systems), called as “This PC” is one of the favorites and useful icon for all Windows users. You will not find it by default on a fresh installation of Windows 10. Follow the steps to display the missing “My Computer” (This PC) icon in the Windows 10 desktop, and Recycle Bin – another important icon on the desktop. We have covered the identical steps for Windows 8.1/7.
This is an essential icon to access the local drives, USB disks, CD/DVD drives, and other files. Definitely, you will be surprised by not seeing this most frequently used icon on Windows Operating Systems. Nothing to worry, it is hidden and we need to display the My Computer icon in Windows 10 desktop.
How to Display “My Computer” on Windows 10/8.1 Desktop- ‘This PC’
1) Right-click on the empty space of the desktop. Click on ‘Personalize’.
2) In Windows 10, it will take to the settings app. Click ‘Themes’ in the Personalization settings and ‘Go to desktop icon settings’ shown below.
In Windows 8.1, you will get the classic control panel to customize the icon set.
Tick the ‘Computer’ to show it on the desktop. Luckily the ‘Recycle Bin’ is already ticked, if you can’t see the Recycle Bin or it is missing from the Windows 10 desktop, this is the first place you have to check and enable it.
Read Also: How to get working GarageBand for Windows
3) Now the ‘This PC’ or ‘My Computer’ icon would appear on the desktop.
To change This PC (Computer) name on Windows 10, you can follow this guide.
Pin My Computer Icon to Start Menu and Start List in Windows 10
As you know, start menu returned in Windows 10. By default, My Computer icon is not included in the start menu. You can follow the below method to pin it (This PC) icon to start menu and list.
4) Right-Click on the ‘This PC’ icon after you have enabled it to display on the desktop. Select Pin to Start List or Start.
So, this is what happens when you select ‘Start’ and ‘Start List’.
If you want to hide all icons from the desktop in Windows 10, here is the way.
Right Click on the empty space in desktop, select View and remove ‘Show desktop icons’ to hide all icons from the desktop. You can enable back to show all icons on the desktop again.
Hope this guide is helpful in displaying My Computer and Recycle Bin icons on Windows 10 Desktop and start list.
How to Get back the Missing Recycle Bin on Windows 7, Vista?
If you have a chance to see the Windows 7 desktop without Recycle Bin, how are you going to restore deleted items from recycle bin? Good question! We can restore missing recycle bin back to desktop easily in Windows 7 or later Operating Systems.
1) Right Click on the Desktop, go to personalize.
2) Click on Change Desktop icons option at the left side as shown below.
3) Add a tick in front of Recycle Bin in Desktop icons settings.
4) Press OK; now go back to Windows 7 desktop. You can see recycle bin in the desktop.