Show “My Computer” (This PC) on the Desktop in Windows 11/10

If you are searching for the “My Computer” (or This PC) icon on the latest Windows 11 or existing Windows 10 desktop, you will probably not find it except someone manually added it. It is one of the favourites and useful icons for all Windows users.

Do follow the steps to show/display the missing “My Computer” (This PC) icon on the Windows 11/10 desktop. The same steps are applicable for Windows 8.1/7 if you are still using these old Operating Systems.

This is an essential icon to access the local drives, USB disks, CD/DVD drives, and other files. Definitely, you will be surprised by not seeing this most frequently used icon on Windows Operating Systems.

Steps to Display This PC/My Computer on Windows 11 and Win 10

I’m demonstrating these steps from Windows 11, but these steps and identical on Windows 10 as well (except for slight changes in icons and appearance)

1) Right-click on the empty space of the desktop. Click on ‘Personalize’.

Peronalize Option

2) In Windows 11 or 10, it will take to the settings app.

Click ‘Themes’ in the Personalization settings and ‘Go to desktop icon settings’ shown below.

Desktop Icon Settings

In Windows 8.1, you will get the classic control panel to customize the icon set.

Windows 8 settings

Tick the ‘Computer’ to show it on the desktop. Luckily the ‘Recycle Bin’ is already ticked, if you can’t see the Recycle Bin or it is missing from the Windows 10/11 desktop, this is the first place you have to check and enable it.

Show This PC On Windows 11 10

3) Now the ‘This PC’ or ‘My Computer’ icon would appear on the desktop.

Pin This PC/My Computer to Start Menu in Windows 11/10

As you know, start menu returned in Windows 10. By default, My Computer icon is not included in the start menu. You can follow the below method to pin it (This PC) icon to start menu and list.

Also, the start menu got revamped in Windows 11 which looks great compared to earlier Microsoft Operating Systems.

This PC On Start Menu Windows 11

4) Right-Click on the ‘This PC’ icon after you have enabled it to display on the desktop. Select Pin to Start in Windows 11.

Pin To Start

You have additional option to add ‘Pin to Start list’ in Windows 10.

pin my computer icon

So, this is what happens when you select ‘Start’ and ‘Start List’ in Windows 10.

start list in Windows 10

If you want to hide all icons from the desktop in Windows 10/11, here is the way.

Right Click on the empty space on the desktop, select View and remove ‘Show desktop icons’ to hide all icons from the desktop. You can enable back to show all icons on the desktop again.

Hope this guide is helpful in displaying My Computer and Recycle Bin icons on Windows 11/10 Desktop and start list.

Dinesh is the founder of Sysprobs and written more than 400 articles. Enthusiast in Microsoft and cloud technologies with more than 15 years of IT experience.

80 thoughts on “Show “My Computer” (This PC) on the Desktop in Windows 11/10”

1. Excellent.
    Thank you.
    This is exactly what I wanted.
    I have just jumped from XP (sigh) to Windows 10 and really needed My Computer just to ease myself into the transition.

2. Do you try as hard as you can to keep users in the dark and make them feel like idiots. Why would you hide “my Computer”?

3. One other oddity that Microsoft wrote into the Windows 10 behavior is that you can’t open the “Desktop Icon Settings” dialog from “Personalize” until you’ve activated the installation. This restriction is most likely to be significant in volume license installations that use KMS activation and/or scripted builds, but IM(NS)HO it’s a totally unnecessary (but successful) attempt to make the user interface more complex than necessary while adding nothing whatever of value.

If anyone needs it, use the following command in a CMD box or script (elevation NOT required) to open the Desktop Icon Settings dialog regardless of whether the machine has or has not been activated:

RUNDLL32 SHELL32.DLL,Control_RunDLL DESK.CPL,,0

Note: the string “Control_RunDLL” must be entered exactly as shown; the other parts of the command are case-insensitive. Note also that there is a space after “Control_RunDLL”.

I used this to populate the desktop when developing installation setup scripts for a shop that used KMS, but development was on a virtual platform that needed a bit of magic to let it talk to the KMS box…so activation wasn’t performed until midway through the build process.

4. It randomly disappeared from my desktop… The Windows team seems to completely overhaul their UI with every iteration of the OS (stahp!), so having to find these things is a real pain every time. Thanks for the quick picture guide, took me longer to type this comment than fix the problem, so it was well done.

5. Windows 10 has hidden my chosen shortcuts to dump its own version of what windows thinks I would use. the short cuts were chosen for a reason, not for some brain dead geek to decide otherwise….
    Ring click on desktop would be great, but nothing happens, no drop down…
    what a dross update.

6. Left a comment….RobbRaw April 3, 2016 @ 15:57, doubt it will be posted, but got a video which simply loops every three seconds of people running away…how apt

7. I completely fail to understand why Microsoft continue to accommodate the wacky ‘change everything’ idiocy of ever new programmer. The cost of ‘support staff’ to others as a direct result must be astronomic. I wonder at the cost to end users of this ‘upgrading’. I’m sure the Gates gang would quote the ‘advantages, pity they continue to ignore the horrific downsides.

8. Hi!
    It worked perfectly! Thank you
    I have windows 10 updated some days ago. And after some time, I realised that my computer was removed from desktop. Now it’s back but it says “This PC” new name. I guess.

Greetings from Perú! 😀