Follow these steps to download and install working OS X 10.9 Mavericks pre installed VMware image for Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 on Intel processor computers. Doing a fresh installation of OS X 10.9 on VMware workstation by Apple’s original DMG file is not so easy. Sysprobs already published a guide about how to install Mavericks on VMware from DMG file. Instead of going through those difficult tasks, you can simply download this pre installed and configured image and use it quickly. Because of this is made by vanilla kernel (without modifying the original kernel), future software updates also possible with it.
Steps to Use OS X 10.9 Mavericks VMware Image on Windows 8 ( 7 & 8.1)
1) Make sure that your physical computer supports hardware virtualization technology ( vt-x). Mostly all the recent desktop and laptop computers support virtualization technology nowadays. In some computers this feature is already activated, in others it should be activated manually in computer BIOS settings.
2) Download Mavericks retail image, since the owner of this pre-installed image has removed the download link from his site you may need to search for it on Google, definitely you will get the image download.
3) Extract the main file which is in 7z format. You can use WinRAR or 7z.exe program (included in same download) for this purpose.
4) We need to use an unlocker patch to make VMware workstation to support Mac guest in Windows OS. The patch is located inside same extracted folder.
Sysprobs already published a guide showing how to use VMware unlocker in Windows OS, refer the guide.
Note: Sometimes after using unlocker in VMware workstation 10, the Apple Mac OS X guest support would not appear. But still the OS X guest will boot and work fine.
5) Open the vmx file of retail Mavericks virtual machine as shown below.
6) Before starting virtual machine, you can modify the settings in next screen. I have increased the RAM to 2GB and number of processors to 2.
7) Power on VM now. If VT-X is enabled properly and unlocker worked fine, you could see the initial configuration screen without any issues.
8.) After doing few configurations, you will land on well working Mavericks virtual machine.
Remember- This is just for testing and learning purpose only. In virtual environment you will not get the all features of OS X as running it on Apple hardware.
VMware Tools for OS X 10.9 Mavericks on Windows OS
Sound and network work fine in this method without installing VMware tools. It is already having multiple screen resolution options which normally come only after VM tools installation. Also, full screen mode and auto adjust screen size did not work after installing tools. Therefore, I do not see any valid reasons for VMware tools on OS X 10.9 except VMware shared folder.
If you need VMware shared folders on Mavericks with Windows 8 or 8.1 or 7 to share Windows OS folders and drives with guest OS, then continue the installation.
9) Mount the (attach to VM’s CD drive) darwin.iso file which is included in same folder.
10) When CD drive opens automatically, double click ‘Install VMware Tools’ and begin the installation.
Recommended: Take a snapshot of virtual machine before beginning the installation. It will be easy to rollback if anything goes wrong in future.
After restarting, to make sure that VMware tools have been installed properly, go to VM in menu and see for below option. If ‘Reinstall VMware tools’ option is available, that means it’s already installed and working inside virtual machine.
11) Go to settings of virtual machine and add a Windows 8 or 7 host folder/partition. While setting up, you can select ‘Read Only’ if you like to protect the host data.
Remember: VMware shared folder doesn’t require any network connectivity or configuration between host and guest. This purely works with VMware tools and integration services. So, it is very simple to configure and use without network connectivity.
12) Inside Mavericks guest OS, you can access VMware shared folder in Computer as shown below.
The particular pre installed image was built and uploaded by souldevteam website and all credits should go to them.
Here is a video tutorial guide which made by the owner of this OS X 10.9 VMware image.
Please share this guide on your social networking sites if you like this post. Also, feel free to leave comments below or on owner’s blog.