Every computer on this earth planet has a processor — no matter whether it is a small or a large that provide high-end PC performance. Without the processor, PC does not function. Often, this processor is named as CPU (Central Processing Unit), and it is an integral part of an overall PC system. If you are a PC enthusiast, you don’t need any introduction to the ‘Intel Core i PC chips series’. They are termed as one of the most powerful, high-end PC chips competing against the AMP PC chips.
In the year 2017, Intel announced their latest, high-end PC chips which they called as ‘i9’. Core i9 family has 10, 12, 14, 16 and 18 cores.
What is the difference between core i7 and core i9?
When we compare the Intel processors, often i3 is termed as an entry-level processor for casual gaming and some other less intensive PC work. But as this series progresses further, it becomes high performing processors. For that reason, i5 often termed as a processor that provides optimal gaming experience. Next version is called i7 and brings a better gaming experience than all previous versions and useful for graphics intensive work and gaming. Now as the i9 series is released, it becomes the most high-performing PC chips ever available to users. It can handle the extreme job and provide the high-end performance to content creators (like the photo and video editing).
So, it becomes a go-to platform for developers and content creators. Also, it will offer more PCI-E lanes from the motherboard towards the GPU, storage and other expansion slots. This feature gives i9 an edge over ‘AMD Threadrippers’ which is a long-time competitor of Intel.
Though 36 logical threads & 18 physical cores are the most important selling points of an i9 chips, various other features like four channel RAM, Advanced Vector Extension 512 and support for Intel Optane are lucrative too. Overall, if it fits your pocket, then you should go for choosing i9 over other PC chips. If you fall short of some money, then there are some affordable choices like 16 core Threadripper that you can get.
|Series||GHz||Cores & Threads|
|Core i9-7980XE||2.6GHz, 4.4GHz burst||18 cores/36 threads|
|Core i9-7960X||2.8GHz, 4.4GHz burst||16 cores/32 threads|
|Core i9-7940X||3.1GHz, 4.4GHz burst||14 cores/28 threads|
|Core i9-7920X||3.1GHz, 4.4GHz burst||12 cores/24 threads|
|Core i9-7900X||3.3GHz, 4.5GHz burst||10 cores/20 threads|
|Core i7 7820X||3.6GHz, 4.5GHz burst||8 cores/16 threads|
|Core i7-7800X||3.5GHz, 4.0GHz burst||6 cores/12 threads|
|Core i7-7740X||4.3GHz, 4.5GHz burst||4 cores/8 threads|
|Core i5-7640X||4.0GHz, 4.2GHz burst||4 cores, 4 threads|
As we can see that i9 has the most cores and threads, no doubt that it becomes a hugely popular PC chip ever. Being said that, it is not built for everyone. Usually, casual PC users don’t need such high-performing, expensive chips.
Advantages and Disadvantages of i9
No matter how much we praise i9, it does come with some disadvantages that shouldn’t be overlooked.
Advantages of i9:
- High-end performance: i9 is built to provide the powerful PC performance. It can handle intensive content creation which is one of the primary reason for photo and video editors, musicians, and programmers to choose i9.
- Ultra Fast: It is fastest CPU in the world that Intel has ever produced. Intel Core i9-7980XE has 18 Cores and 36 threads which wholeheartedly supports various professional tasks like 3D rendering, photo, and video editing, etc.
- The maximum number of cores: Yes, i9 series has the maximum number of cores than its previous series. It starts from 10 cores up to 18 cores. The more cores your CPU has, number of tasks it can handle effectively.
- Intel Optane supports: Intel Optane is nothing but an ‘Adoptable System Accelerator’ which makes computing task faster by learning your computing behavior. Intel core i9 supports Intel Optane.
Though i9 has plenty of advantages, it does come with certain disadvantages.
- Costlier: Cost plays an important role when it comes to choosing the right Intel Core. i9 the most expensive CPU ever released by Intel. So, for the users who have a tight budget, Intel Core i9 will not be a viable option.
- Require Expensive Motherboard: To make most out of Intel Core i9, you will need to buy some hardware like a new motherboard as it is not compatible with existing one. This means you need more money to invest in this technology.
- Get very hot: Intel core i9 is found to get very, very hot, especially i9-9900K becomes very hot during the use. So to run it properly in long run you have to ensure that some kind of cooling system in place to keep its temperature down.
- Limited usage for common users: Intel i9 is the most powerful CPU ever released by Intel and for most users, it is not required. Users who use the PC just for certain task like writing docs, accounting, watching videos etc does not require high-end CPU.
Best i9 Laptops in 2019
1. New Dell XPS 15 9570 Gaming Laptop
This can be termed as a performance beast. With Intel Core i9 and various other features that support faster work and smooth performance. ‘Dell XPS 15 9570’ laptop is a perfect solution for those who are looking for the best performing laptop and has a good budget to spend.
It has 8th Generation Intel Core i9-8950HK Processor along with 32GB RAM, 1TB solid-state-drive and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics card. Though it provides high-end performance, it is a bit heavy and weighs 7.6 pounds. Due to its weight, you won’t be able to carry it all the time. But its 15.6-inch anti-glare display can allow you to work outside. This laptop has a 4K display which is known to draw power which results in the reduced battery life. Average battery life is around six hours.
- Processor – 8th gen Intel Core i9-8950HK Processor (Up to 4.8GHz)
- RAM – 32GB DDR4-2666MHz
- Storage – 1TB SSD
- Graphics card – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
- Weight – 7.5 pounds
- Battery life – Up to 6 hours
- USB ports – 2 USB 3.1 ports, 1 Thunderbolt 3 and 1 SD card slot
- High-end performance
- Better connections with 3.1 USB and Thunderbolt 3
- Equipped with great features and the latest Intel Core technology
- Low battery life.
- Costlier laptop
2. Apple 15 Inch MacBook Pro Laptop
Apple lover now has what they wished for – a MacBook Pro laptop with Intel Core i9. This space gray colored laptop is all you need for faster performance and better computing experience.
It has 8th generation Intel Core i9 processor with 6 core which turbo boost upto the 4.8GHz. When combined this processor with 16GB RAM and 512/1TB storage, it doesn’t fail to deliver speedy performance. Radeon Pro 560x Graphics and the 15-inch Retina LED-backlit Display with IPS technology brings an awesome graphics experience to the users which is one of the highly praised features of Apple laptops.
- Processor – Intel Core i9 (Up to 4.8GHz)
- Display – 15-inch Retina LED-backlit Display with IPS technology
- RAM – 16GB
- Storage – available in 512 and 1TB SSD
- Graphics card – Radeon Pro 560x
- Battery life – Up to 10 hours
- USB ports – 4 Thunderbolt 3
- Better than previous models when it comes to the speed. (Faster performance)
- Nice display with retina screen
- Lightweight and thin
- Best battery backup
- Expensive laptop
- No extra ports except the Thunderbolt 3
3. Alienware 15 R4 Gaming Laptop
Alienware – subsidiary of Dell is known for its quality products that range from gaming mouse to the best laptops.”Alienware 15 R4 laptop” is built considering gamers as targeted users. That is why it is one of the fast performing laptops which uses Intel Core i9 processor.
It not only flaunts i9 processor but has powerful NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X graphics along with 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD which makes it more powerful for graphics intensive gaming. Not only it comes with powerful features but it has good connectivity too. On top of this backlit keyboard enhance its looks. Though it is an expensive laptop, with all required specifications it can become a good choice for gamers.
Key features –
- Processor – Intel Core i9-8950K (6 cores and turbo boosts up to 5.0GHz)
- Display – 15.6-inch full HD with IPS display and G-sync (1920 x 1080 pixels resolution)
- RAM – 16GB
- Storage – 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD
- Graphics card – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X
- Battery life – Up to 11 hours
- Weight – 7.6 pounds
- USB ports – USB 3.0, HDMI, Thunderbolt 3 Port.
- Premium laptop with faster performance and strong graphics.
- Better battery life.
- Sturdy design
- Become hot while playing games
- Heavy laptop
4. New Dell Precision 7530 Mobile Workstation
Dell’s ‘Precision 7530’ is a dream come true for every gamer and high-end laptop users. It has everything that any laptop user wish for. No wonder Dell is advertising this machine as one of the world’s best and powerful 15-inch laptop. But quality and high-end features come with a hefty price tag. Depending upon what specification you opt for, it’s price range from 4K to 6K USD.
It sports slick-looking magnesium alloy skeleton and flaunts impressive features that can handle heavy duty work while keeping overall performance fast enough for users. Believe or not, its high-end version has whooping 4TB SSD with 64GB RAM. The version we are talking here has 1TB SSD and 32GB RAM with Intel six COre i9 processor and NVIDIA P3200 w GPU. Not only it has a strong graphics processor but it is VR ready too. So, if you are an avid gamer who loves to play the graphics intensive games then this the perfect laptop that can handle everything for you. Though it is a well-built machine it has some drawbacks that need to be addressed before you make your mind to purchase this beast. It weighs 6.16 pounds which is we believe a bit on the higher side and can make it a bit difficult to carry around. Also, it has a battery life of 4.5 hrs to 6 hrs, a little less than what we expect it to be. Overall, it is best performing laptop we ever come across but not the fastest among all.
Key features –
- Processor – Intel Core i9-8950H (6 cores and turbo boosts up to 4.80GHz)
- Display – 15.6-inch full HD with IPS display (1920 x 1080 pixels resolution)
- RAM – 32GB
- Storage – 1TB SSD
- Graphics card – NVIDIA P3200 w with 6GB GDDR5
- Battery life – Up to 4.5 to 6 hours
- Weight – 6.16 pounds
- USB ports – USB 3.1, HDMI, Thunderbolt 3 Type-C Port, Mini DisplayPort 1.4
- Best performing laptop
- VR ready with powerful CPU & GPU – good specs for gamers
- Strong specifications – helpful to perform intensive work without glitches
- Average battery life
- May become warm while performing intensive work
- Costlier machine
5. ASUS ROG G703 Desktop Replacement Gaming Laptop
Its name suggests that it can replace the desktop and fulfill all your gaming need. It stands true when we looked at the specifications of this machine. It is truly a powerhouse. Weighing around 10.35 pounds, it is a heavy laptop and you will not able to carry around all the time. But it has Intel Core i9 processor with 4.8GHz boost.
Big display always brings the best gaming experience and while building this laptop Asus kept that in mind. That is the reason we have 17.3-inch full HD display with NVIDIA G-SYNC and 3ms response time. 32GB RAM, 256GB SSD along with 2TB hard drive and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 GPU makes this machine a gaming beast. But like other gaming machines, it does come with a high price and less battery life. Its keyboard is not evolutionary but it provides good typing experience with the 2.5mm key travel and 0.3mm keycap curve.
Overall, it is a good laptop for gamers who don’t travel much. It is capable to play almost all high-end, graphics-intensive games while not compromising on the speed.
Key features –
- Processor – Intel Core i9-8950HK
- Display – 17.3-inch FHD IPS, 144Hz, 3ms
- RAM – 32GB DDR4
- Storage -256Gb SSD and 2TB HDD
- Graphics card – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
- Battery life – Up to 2 hours
- Weight – 10.3 pounds
- Powerful gaming performance
- Wide screen
- High-end specification that supports intensive productivity work
- Expensive laptop
- Poor battery life
Bottom line: Almost all the laptops that sport Intel Core i9 processor are capable to perform an intensive productivity task as well as good for gaming but comes with a heavy price. So, before you buy the best i9 laptop, pay attention to what features you need and for what purpose you will be using it. We have covered top 5 laptops with Intel Core i9 processor, if you are using something different than this list and has a good review then don’t forget to let us know in comment section.