This post is other part of Mac on Windows series in Sysprobs. The difference between other blogs and here is, I cover all installation steps clearly and post installation configurations including adjusting screen resolution, sound, networking and shared folders between Windows host and Mac OS X guest. This guide shows how to install and update Snow Leopard 10.6.2 Intel AMD by Hazard to 10.6.4 on Virtual Box 3.2.8.
Any third party boot loaders not required for this methods but you have to download specific hackintosh installation ISO file. The original installation DVD or ISO file will not work here.
You need to download hacked version Snow_Leopard_10.6.1-10.6.2_SSE2_SSE3_Intel_AMD_by_Hazard.rar which made for Intel and AMD computers.
This method is very similar to Tek411 blog post, but this continues with 10.6.4 combo update on Hazard distro and some other post configurations.
Required Products for Snow Leopard 10.6.4 on VirtualBox 3.2.8
1) Snow_Leopard_10.6.1-10.6.2_SSE2_SSE3_Intel_AMD_by_Hazard.rar ( I’m not giving the download link, but if you search on Google you will find it.)
2) Oracle VirtualBox 3.2.8 ( Read more and download it here)
3) Enable Hardware Virtualization Technology (VT) on host computer motherboard and make sure host OS is detecting it. ( Read more here how to enable VT and check)
Demonstration PC Configurations
The PC I’m using to install this method and take screen print is,
Intel Core2Duo 2.66 GHz, Intel P35 Chipset, 3GB Ram, Windows 7 32 Bit and Virtualization Technology is already enabled in BIOS.
1) Create a new Virtual machine. Select OS type Mac OS X Server as shown below.
2) Set memory size and hard disk in next screens.
3) Do not change anything in default settings, except;
Remove floppy drive,
Enable 3D Acceleration and set maximum memory for video.
4) Go to storage option and mount downloaded ISO file to DVD drive.
5) Ready to start, power on Virtual machine now. First installation screen should appear without any issues.
6) Most of the time you can’t see the disk to select. Go to Disk utilities as shown below.
Create a new partition and press Apply.
After exit from this screen, select the created partition and continue the installation.
7) Next screen is very important to select customized packages. Since I’m running this on Intel Core2Duo 2.66 GHz 32 Bit OS, I select latest Chameleon boot Intel boot loader.
Note- This boot loader just for backup purpose only. We already selected VirtualBox EFI boot loader (in Step 3) which works fine with this installation. If you remove VB EFI then your Mac OS will boot from Chameleon boot Intel boot loader. So, you have two options. Select which ever works good on your computer.
I did not select any Mac OS X updates at this point , because I will be using 10.6.4 combo update later on Snow Leopard 10.6.2 Intel AMD by Hazard.
AMD users select AMD option.
There are several kernels available under kernels for AMD and Intel ( Pentium 4) users. Before select and continue the installation, please read description below for each package.
Graphics and Audio drives made for physical hardware only, so don’t select any of them since VirtualBox with Mac guest doesn’t talk to physical hardware properly.
8.) Start the installation. I’m sure it will complete successfully if you are lucky.
9) After restart, continue the first time configurations. Keyboard setup will fail, don’t worry. Here is the first screen of working Snow leopard on Oracle VirtualBox 3.2.8.
Post Configurations and Setups of Snow Leopard 10.6.4 on VirtualBox 3.2.8
As usual network worked out of the box in all types.
You can download sound installation package from here and install it. Sound is not that quality. For me only right speaker worked, that’s also not very clear. But at least I can make out what’s playing inside Mac guest virtual machine.
Manual installation method and more information available here.
3) Setting up screen resolution to fit your monitor
Read this post to adjust screen size inside Mac OS X Guest. Since we cant install guest additions on this machine, only manual methods are available to change screen size. I have updated this post with several working methods mentioned by readers. So, try each method till you set correct size.
4) USB Disk Access
It works fine. If you are using USB external hard disk, some times you have to go to disk utility and mount it.
5) Boot from disk
This is not an issue like earlier methods in sysprobs, because it works with VirtualBox EFI boot loader. Make sure EFI boot loader is selected all the time in Virtual machine option.
If this doesn’t work, remove the above tick and make sure to install Chameleon boot loader as shown in step 7.
6) How to update Snow Leopard Intel AMD by Hazard to 10.6.4 on Virtual Box 3.2.8
I did manual update ( Download 10.6.4 combo update and installed) but failed with kernel panic when rebooted. Luckily had snapshot, so take a snapshot right now before continue.
The kernel came with this installation ISO works only up to 10.6.2. You need to download 10.6.4 legacy kernel ( Same kernel for Intel and AMD), AMD users must do one more step which I will mention later.
Before start the update download latest kernel from here and transfer to Mac virtual machine. Now start the software or manual update to 10.6.4, once its successfully installed and waiting for restart, DO NOT restart.
While update screen open, start the kernel installation. If you have SMBIOS.kext file then delete it as some others reported issue with it, but I did not find. After the completion close it and now restart VM. Here is the updated Hazard Snow Leopard.
Read more about further discussions on updating hazard to 10.6.4.
It worked without any troubles for me.The good thing on this installation method ( If you booted with VirtualBox EFI boot loader) is when you click ‘ About this Mac’ in menu, it returns the details. In earlier methods this option did not work.
For AMD Users – After the update and legacy kernel installation, do a cpuid patch with Marvin’s AMD utility as mentioned here.
7) Shared Folders between Windows host and Mac guest
This will be useful to transfer data to Snow leopard from Windows machine. Working network is required and more information about how to setup shared folders is available here.
I’m sure these steps will be useful to have latest Mac OS X on VirtualBox 3.2.8.
Just let me know your issues face in this method. It may be different for i7, i5 and AMD processors. We will try to fix together.
Also, don’t forget to share successful stories in comments area.